Love hot chocolate? Looking for a homemade gift to give this Christmas? Then do we have the perfect recipe for you! Gift four people with their own DIY vegan hot chocolate sets presented in beautifully decorated mason jars. Delicious and thoughtful – is there a better combo? Thanks to the team at Vega UK for this exciting festive recipe.
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes
For the hot chocolate:
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons mini vegan marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons Chocolate Vega® Essentials
For the candy cane spoons:
- 2-4 candy canes
- 4 spoons
- Carefully and evenly layer the cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips and then mini marshmallows in a 400g mason jar. Top with lid.
- Unwrap the candy canes and place in a freezer bag.
- Using a rolling pin, crush the candy canes.
- Roll out a piece of baking paper.
- Remove a half of the crushed candy canes and melt in microwave-safe dish
- Dip a spoon into the melted candy canes, filling the spoon (act fast – it hardens quickly), and sprinkle with coarsely chopped candy pieces.
- Lay flat to dry on baking paper to cool and harden.
- Remove the marshmallows from the jar. Add 250ml of your favourite plant-based drink and the ingredients left in the jar to a pan over a medium heat until reached the desired temperature.
- Pour into a mug and top with the marshmallows.
- Add a Candy Cane spoon and stir