Middle Eastern Lentils – Healthy Vegan Recipe
There are lots of bold flavours in this hearty lentil dish: fragrant chermoula and soft aubergine strips rubbed in black garlic. Served with sweet Romano pepper, rocket, crunchy cashews and a lemony tahini drizzle. Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef.
Ingredients - Serves 2
- 1/2 lemon
- 180g cherry tomatoes
- 1 aubergine
- 1 red onion
- 1 romano red pepper
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 240g lentils in water (drained)
- 2 tbsp Belazu chermoula
- 2 tbsp oil
- 30g cashew nuts
- 40g rocket
- 4 black garlic cloves
- Medium handful of flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the red onion and Romano red pepper into small bite-sized pieces. Slice the aubergine horizontally into 3 pieces, then again into long 1-2 cm wide wedges. Place the black garlic cloves into a small bowl, add 1/2 tbsp oil and mash with a fork until a thick paste forms. Spread evenly over the aubergine wedges to form a thin coating (you may have to do this with your hands!).
- Place the black garlic coated aubergine, onion and red pepper on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven for 20 mins until turning golden, turning halfway through.
- Drain the lentils and slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. Heat a pan with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat and add the lentils, cherry tomatoes, parsley and the chermoula, cook for 5 mins. Season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the rocket in a large bowl and add the chermoula lentils, onion and red pepper. In a small bowl, mix the tahini paste with a squeeze of lemon juice and 2 tsp cold water to form a smooth sauce.
- Spoon the lentil and vegetable mix onto two warm plates, top with the black garlic aubergine wedges and sprinkle over the cashew nuts. Drizzle over the tahini sauce.
514 calories • 43g carbs • 30g fat • 20g protein
Not suitable for nut or sesame allergy sufferers