Our pan-cooked buckwheat flour and chia seed pizza base is topped with a garlic tomato sauce, balsamic mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, rocket and toasted walnuts. All drizzled with a creamy basil pesto. Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef.
Ingredients - Serves 2
- 15 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 180g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 baby cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp vegan basil pesto
- 20g walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 40g rocket
- 60g sundried tomatoes
- Medium handful of fresh thyme
- Pre heat the oven to 220C / gas mark 7. Place the chia seeds into a mug with 50ml water cold water, stir and leave for 3 mins until the water has been soaked up and it has become sticky.
- Finely chop the garlic. Add 1tsp oil to a saucepan with just half the garlic, cook for 1 min over a medium heat then add the chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 20 mins to reduce.
- In a medium sized bowl add the buckwheat flour (reserve 1tbsp flour for later). Add a pinch of salt, 80g cold water and the soaked chai seeds from the mug. Mix well and knead with your hands into a dough. Dust a chopping board and you're hands with remaining flour. Divide the dough into two balls. Place one ball onto the floured chopping board and flatten with the palm of your hand into a pizza base shape. Repeat with the remaining dough ball.
- Pre-heat a frying pan with 1/2 tsp oil over a high heat. Add the pizza dough, fry for 2 mins on each side until taking on colour. Repeat. Place both pizza bases on a large baking tray.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms and red onion. Add 1/2tsp oil to the same pan used to cook the pizza bases. Over a medium heat cook the mushrooms and onions for 8 mins. Finely chop the thyme leaves and roughly chop the sundried tomatoes, add to the pan followed by half the balsamic vinegar. Cook all together for a further 3 mins.
- Spoon the tomato sauce over both pizzas bases, top the with mushrooms, mix sprinkle with the walnuts. Cook in the oven for 5 mins.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and thinly slice. Place the rocket leaves into a serving bowl, add the cucumber, mix. Drizzle with the remaining balsamic vinegar. Remove the pizza’s from the oven, drizzle with pesto then serve.
637 calories • 82g carbs • 24g fat • 20g protein
Not suitable for sufferers of nut, soya, or sulphite allrgies