Sri Lankan Jackfruit Curry With Black Rice
A common ingredient in Sri Lanka, a country known for outstanding veggie cooking, we add ‘meaty’ chunks of jackfruit to a coconut broth spiked with aromatics and a signature house blend of spices. Recipe courtesy of Mindful Chef.
Ingredients - Serves 2
- 100g black rice
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 brown onion
- 1 green chilli
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp Mindful Chef Sri Lankan spice blend
- 200ml coconut milk
- 250g jackfruit (drained)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4cm fresh ginger
- 4 tsp desiccated coconut
- Large handful of fresh coriander
- Boil a kettle. Rinse the black rice and place in a saucepan with 500ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 25-30 mins, then drain.
- Dice the onion and cut the red pepper into bite-sized pieces. Finely chop the garlic and peel and grate the ginger. Roughly chop the coriander leaves and stalks, keeping separate.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit.
- Heat a medium-sized pan with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 mins, then add the Sri Lankan spice blend, garlic, ginger and coriander stalks and cook for 1 minute.
- Then add the red pepper, jackfruit, coconut milk, 50ml boiling water, coriander leaves and half of the desiccated coconut to the pan. Mash the jackfruit roughly with the back of a spoon. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Place a lid on the pan and simmer for 10 mins. Then remove the lid and simmer for a further 5 mins to reduce the sauce, add more water if needed.
- Finely slice the green chilli (remove the seeds for less heat).
- Serve the Sri Lankan jackfruit curry on two warm plates alongside the black rice and sprinkle over the green chilli slices and the remaining desiccated coconut.
612 calories • 78g carbs • 30g fat • 8g protein
Not suitable for those with a sulphite allergy