Pulled Barbecue Jackfruit With Avocado Salsa Healthy Vegan Recipe
Jackfruit is a spiky fruit grown in Sri Lanka which has a 'meaty' texture when cooked in stews and curries. Because of this, it is hugely popular among vegans who are looking for a meat substitute for healthy, delicious recipes. High in fibre, this barbecue jackfruit with avocado salsa will be a hit at dinner time for vegans and non-vegans alike.
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 250g organic jackfruit (drained)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 80g brown rice
- Large handful of fresh coriander
547 calories • 82g carbs • 21g fat • 10g protein
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins, then drain.
2. Finely slice the red onion and dice the red pepper. Drain and rinse the jackfruit.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and cook 3/4 of the red onion for 5 mins until softening. Then add the jackfruit to the pan for 3 mins, breaking it up slightly with a wooden spoon.
4. To the jackfruit pan, add the red pepper, tomato puree, chipotle paste (add as much as desired), maple syrup, smoked paprika, ground cumin and 200ml boiling water. Place a lid on the pan and simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the jackfruit has softened. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper and pull the pieces of jackfruit apart with two forks. Add more water to thin the sauce if needed.
5. Meanwhile, to make that avocado salsa; peel and de-stone the avocado and roughly chop into small cubes. Roughly chop the coriander leaves. Place the avocado cubes, coriander and remaining red onion slices into a bowl with half of the juice from the lime and a pinch of sea salt.
6. Spoon the pulled barbecue jackfruit onto two warm plates alongside the rice and the avocado salsa. Drizzle over the remaining lime juice.
Recipe for two people, halve the ingredients for one person.
Many thanks to the guys at Mindful Chef for this fantastic healthy vegan recipe. With Mindful Chef, you will have all of these fresh, quality ingredients prepped and delivered to your door, so all you need to do is cook!