TRX Oblique Crunch
The TRX Oblique crunch is one of the best ways to build a strong core and whittle down your waist.
When we think about the abdominals, we think of the trophy muscles, the rectus abdominals that run down the centre of your stomach that with the right training and diet create the hallmark of fitness, the six pack. We tend to neglect the obliques, which is unfair, as they work equally as hard and are stabilisers engaged in almost every compound lift.
The V Taper vs Training Obliques
Huge lats and a small waist are what every bodybuilder dreams of. The “V” shape is incredibly sought after when training for aesthetics and this poses a problem for your obliques. It is thought that training the obliques with weighted exercises creates a hypertrophic effect which thickens the waist, however there are exercises which promote strength through the obliques without triggering hypertrophy to a point where your obliques ruin your V - taper.
Using the TRX to train obliques enables you to strengthen the muscles without adding mass to a trim waistline.
Benefits of the Oblique Crunch
- Works your abs in a different plane of motion to trigger further development.
- Engages all your core muscles to stabilise and complete the crunch.
- Works your shoulders as you support your suspended body weight.
How To TRX Oblique Crunch
- Start in an extended plank position with your feet hooked in the TRX stirrups.
- Bring your knees in, twisting at the waist so that the side of your thigh runs parallel to the floor as your opposite knee moves towards the opposite elbow.
- Return to the suspended plank.
- Bend the knees and twist to repeat the move on the opposite side.