Emilie Harrison Athlete Ambassador
Emilie is an Australian athlete who competes in canoeing. She talks to Sundried about life on the water.
Have you always been into sport?
What’s been your favourite race to date and why?
Paddle Australia National Marathon Championships 2019. The atmosphere was amazing! It was my first ever national race in Canoe Paddling 15km where I was able to secure a bronze position. It was in Western Australia which is such a beautiful place.
And your proudest achievement?
My proudest achievement would be in 2019, which was my first season racing in kneeling canoe, winning 8 state medals and 1 national medal. Also, more recently placing 5th in the C2 500m at the Oceania Championships first ever Olympic trial for female canoeing
What's been your toughest race yet?
The toughest race was paddling my first ever 10km in a kneeling canoe at the Victorian State Championships 2019 in the pouring rain and terrible winds.
How do you overcome setbacks?
- Positive mindset and self-talk.
- Having a balanced lifestyle outside of sport.
- Remembering why I do the sport, what I want out of it and that I love it enough to keep going.
- “The come back is always stronger than the setback”.
- “Every setback is a set-up for a comeback”.
What advice do you wish you'd been given before you started competing?
- In order to succeed, you need to believe in yourself.
- Have goals and values within the sport and outside of it.
- How to maintain a balanced lifestyle on and off the sport field.
What are your goals for 2020?
To podium and target the following events and seek Australian National Team selection:
- Paddle Victoria State Marathon Championships
- Paddle Australia National Sprint Championships
- Paddle Australia National Marathon Championships
- Paddle Australia Whitewater Championships
Who do you take your inspiration from?
Amanda Reynolds - Canoe Sprint Paralympian. She is such an inspiration to not only myself but everyone else around. She has such a positive mindset, never gives up, and is such a great mentor.
What do you like about Sundried and what’s your favourite bit of our kit?
I like the variety and choice of products. The quality is fantastic and the goals and outcome of the business are impressive. I really like the leggings and padded jackets and they're really good to paddle/train in.